29 October 2010 - RE-OPENING

Some of these albums were posted in parallel with Countess Vanessa's Castle, I know it's a bit confusing for everyone - me included - but sometimes a sprinkle of madness doesn't disturb... does it?


Your COUNTESS

WANNA SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN MY OTHER BLOGS?

JUMP TO - - >> COUNTESS VANESSA's LINKS
(My PILOT Main Blog)

JUMP TO - - >> PUSSYNBOOTLEGS
(Acid-Pop-Rock-Prog-Psyk-Avantgarde-Jazz-Electro-Underground)

JUMP TO - - >>> DIARY
(Memoranda and iconographical memorabilia for never-surrendering vynil hooligans)




Monday 3 May 2010

PENTANGLE - Live at the BBC, 12 June 1970 (Video, 29 minn.)



Shreds and SVCD rips of this concert have already surfaced here and there on some blogs and on utube, but this is the complete concert, and in perfect video quality.  And a high quality audio as well, recorded on June 12th 1970, the period of "Cruel sister", with great versions of "Light flight", of "Hunting song" (a "13th Century rock'n'roll song", as Bert Jansch describes it) and a splendid combination sitar-banjo on "House carpenter", among the other gems. Maybe not everybody knows that "I've got a feeling" is a song completely based on a piece by Miles Davis, "All blues", which you can find on some of his early CBS LPs, starting from "Kind of blue" (1959). In my opinion, all these songs sound better than the respective originals studio recordings. Shame that this film doesn't even reach a half-n-hour time...
Now, if you take some time to search a bit through the blogs, you'll see some bootlegs around (AUDIO ONLY!) reporting this same BBC concert as recorded in 1971, but the right year is 1970.  Also, you will see that their title list shows SIX songs, while actually we should also consider an incomplete "I got a woman" at the end of the film, which BBC used as a background for the coda titles, therefore we should reckon seven titles all together.
So, always be picking when looking for bootlegs. ;)

For technical reasons I had to split the .avi file in 2 parts.


Your COUNTESS

11 comments:

  1. Hello. I've been a fan of Pentangle for years. I'd very much like to see this live concert - I think I've seen some clips from it in "Folk Brittania" a very good documentary about the British folk revival. Please tell me how I can access the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Rick, already since months I have deleted all my uploaded albums and films, including this one, for the reasons that you may have read about on the opening pages of my blogs

    Cheers,

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you had to delete all your albums can you tell me where i can find Pentangle bootlegs??

    Much Appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you had to delete all your albums
    can you please let me know where to find Pentangle bootlegs??

    Much Appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Chai Ilaik (do you visit me from Holland?), please write me again giving me your email address

    Cheers, Vanessa :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Countess,

    It's been awhile since we wrote one another. Like many who were saddened by the passing of Bert Jansch, I wanted to watch something in tribute and found the old link to the BBC video on your site. I read in one of your replies that you've brought down all your files and films but I was wondering where did you get the entire film and is it still possible to get it?

    After relistening to all their albums it's clear the Pentangle were a completely unique group with five highly individual artists as members. I really wish I had a chance to see Mr. Jansch perform.

    All the best,
    -----------------
    Andy Yue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Andy,
    nice to have you here again :-)
    I know, things aren't easy to handle.

    So, coming to the point: the original film of Pentangle comes from myself directly, I have it on a VHS recording that I did directly from TV, I think it must have been 1975 or 76, so there was no previous owner that one can turn to, and that makes me sorry for all Pentangle lovers.

    Then, from the original VHS I made a DVD transfer and from the DVD I did a DIVX reduction, and this is the version that I shared on my blog.

    Now, despite being originally on videotape the video/audio quality is immaculate, luckily, but I never found any other copy around, not even in those shops where they hold video bootlegs.
    But maybe one thing can be interesting for you, as I wrote on this page in May 2010: if you think you can cope with something of a lower quality [and anyway incomplete], I'm sure that you can find some shreds of this concert on some Youtube & Co.
    This would save you to waste time and energy searchiong for something that as far as I know was never published in its entirety.

    There are often other people asking for alternative addresses where to find stuff, but I'm not the right 1 to ask, because I ABSOLUTELY don't follow other blogs'activities, I'm completely cut out of the musical world, especially from the CD market, I just happily carry on keeping my adored vinyl LPs to my breast, all the rest I really don't care.

    But I know that I've given this film to ca. 15 people, so possibly some of them has reloaded it up on some other blog or site...?

    Once again, I hope that people refrain from considering me as the bad guy of turn, you know it was a sad decision to destroy all links from the servers...

    Let's hope in better times, who knows?

    Good luck, hug from your Countess V :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Countess,

    Thanks for the considered reply. You must have had a very good VHS machine because my tapes from that era are rubbish! Absolutely no bad thoughts and completely understandable considering the issues. Yes I have seen the YouTube extracts and it is wonderful stuff. Fingers crossed the collaboration works out!

    All the best,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello again, dear Andy

    yes you are right, VHs were of middle quality at the time, but in those years I was working at a TV station, and they used to have some starship gear, among which a BETA video recorder. It was also available on the "normal" market, but extremely expensive!
    When I recorded Pentangle it was in this TV studio, I also used to copy LPs and dub audio tapes of live concerts there, and other assorted stuff
    ... anyway, after reading your mail, yes, it must have been a bit later, maybe around 1980, I'm not so sure anymore now...

    Anyway, listen, if you search for a specific extract from this gig, tell me and ... let's see what we can do, okay?

    Till then, xxx

    Countess V

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings dear Countess V,
    there is a way to find or share your pearl with your humble admirer ?
    Gentle Regards,
    fvm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mr. Fabricio, thanks for your very kind greetings :-)

    ............ if there is a way to find the Pentangle....?.......

    Listen, first of all, write me again giving me your email address.

    Then let me give a look to a couple of things, and let's see what we can do, okay?

    Till soon, ciao :-)

    Your Countess Vanessa

    ReplyDelete